Wednesday, June 24, 2009

T-shirt Quilt

This is the layout and plan for Mason's t-shirt quilt.Row three, column two is actually off the sleeve of one of the shirts. I am going to make it into a pocket on the quilt. Row four, column three, I am going to try to applique a M on the fabric from the back of one of the shirts. Thinking a grey flannel for the background of the quilt. At one point I was thinking denim but I don't think he would like the weight of it when done.

The space astronaut is the biggest, just at 12x12 inches. Interfacing is cut 15x15 inches. With at least 1/2 inch seams allowance I think this should work out and give me some extra space. Created a template so I could find the correct positioning of the interfacing for the back of each shirt before I cut it. Had a bad feeling if I cut them to size they would distort before the interfacing was put on.

Hardest part so far was cutting into perfectly good t-shirts. But I knew he wasn't going to wear these any more, they might as well be put to good use.

1 comment:

  1. That looks great. What a lucky kiddo Mason is! My youngest is heading off to college in a few weeks and it would be nice to send one of these along with him. I'll have to try and make time (if he'll give up some of his t-shirts!)